So, last night was my first attempt at making Eggs Benedict (for midnight snacking).
Recipe (serves 3):
3 slices of sourdough bread (I will make some with English muffins soon)
3 slices of Bacon Spam (yes!)
1. Fill a pan with water, and add a teaspoon of vinegar once the water starts to boil.
2. Add the eggs gently (I suggest you crack them open onto a bowl first before poaching them to make sure none of the eggs are spoiled), and carefully remove them from the pan once they are cooked. Set aside.
3. Melt a spoonful of butter on a nonstick pan, and toast the bread along with the slices of Spam, and set them aside when they are done.
For the Hollandaise Sauce:
1 egg yolk
1. Make a double broiler by placing a bowl on top of a sauce pan filled with about an eighth of simmering water.
2. Place the egg yolk in the bowl, and slowly add in the melted butter while continuously whisking the yolk (to keep from making scrambled eggs!)
3. Keep whisking, and remove from the heat once the sauce starts to thicken. Season with salt and a dash of paprika.
To set everything up, place the Spam on top of the bread, gently add the poached egg, sprinkle with a bit of salt (and/or pepper), drizzle with a few spoonfuls of the hollandaise sauce, and garnish it with fresh parsley, et voila!
The first (and last time) I had Eggs Benedict was in Boracay with my love, two years ago(!). We both liked it very much but this is my first attempt at making my own Eggs Benedict recipe so I have absolutely nothing to compare it to. Nonetheless, my dad (being the most upfront person I know), liked it very much so that alone already makes me feel glad.
If you do decide to give this a try, let me know how it goes for you and feel free to share if you’ve made a few adjustments to the recipe :)